Sunday, August 9, 2015

Fun Home

Current Read: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Current Listen: Armada by Ernest Cline

Short update. I have recently become obsessed with the new musical Fun Home, which won several Tony Awards including Best Musical. So when I found out it was based on a graphic novel, I couldn't help myself. I just picked it up from the library and read through it last night and this morning. It's pretty powerful stuff. It's a memoir about a woman, Alison Bechdel, who grows up in a very interesting family environment (the fun home is how she and her brothers refer to the family-run funeral home). She comes out of the closet in college, only to find out that her father is also gay and has had affairs with some of his male high school students. Several weeks after she comes out, her father is killed in an accident that might not have been an accident. It's a great story, and it's expressed very well in the musical. Now I'm off to write lesson plans. That's all she read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment