Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Philosopher Teens, Aliens, and Wil Wheaton

Current Read: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Current Listen; You by Caroline Kepnes (narrated by Santino Fontana wow he's so good)

My name is Katie, and it has been one day since I purchased a book.

BUT I HAD TO. I REALLY DID.

Because Aristotle and Dante. I finished that book and legitimately wanted to read it again that second. One of the most honest looks at the teenage experience that I've ever read. And it was narrated by a teenage boy, which is rare and wonderful, and that teenage boy was Mexican American, which is even more rare and wonderful. AND it dealt very thoughtfully and truthfully about questioning one's sexuality. When I try to describe the plot to people I always just end up saying "ermagerd read it now" because it doesn't sound like much to write home about. Just boys growing up and being friends.But there's so much amazing stuff about family and dealing with emotions as a young person, and I wish I had read it when I was younger and struggling with everything. It was just great. There's not really anything else to say.

I also finished Armada by Ernest Cline, which fulfilled the "book set in high school" piece of my reading challenge. It was not nearly as good as Ready Player One, I must say, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot. It is set in contemporary America, and it is revealed that a popular video game is actually a military simulation designed to train the populous to fight aliens using drones. Fun, original concept. Good family related plot line, and lots and lots of fun 80s references, since it IS Ernest Cline. Wil Wheaton wins at narrating forever. I felt that the emotion in the book was genuine, if not a SMIDGE cheesy, and the story was just fun.

Haha that is not nearly enough words for those books, since I liked them both a lot. It took me too long to put this post in the world and my emotions are a little less raw and fangirl-y. I'll try to be better about that. The two I'm working on right now are both quite good as well, though. I'm thinking I might start scheduling reading time for myself. Boyfriend always laughs at how I give myself reading assignments (like the 2015 reading challenge), but I was really good at school when I did that, so sometimes schoolifying (wow, okay, words) my life is helpful.

Also, I had to buy a car over the weekend which took ALL OF MY LIFE FOREVER and there was little time for blogging. But now I have her and she is beautiful and her name is Matilda. :) Alright. Here's my book challenge for those zero people following along at home.

A book with more than 500 pages: Drums in Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
A classic romance:
A book that became a movie: Paper Towns by John Green
A book published this year: Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins
A book with a number in the title: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A book written by someone under 30: My Drunk Kitchen by Hannah Hart
A book with nonhuman characters: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
A funny book: Grace’s Guide by Grace Helbig
A book by a female author: Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot
A mystery or a thriller: Doll Bones by Holly Black
A book with a one-word title: Scarlet - Marissa Meyer
A book of short stories: Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
A book set in a different country: Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow
A nonfiction book: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
A popular author’s first book: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
A book from an author you love that you haven’t read yet: Fairest by Marissa Meyer
A book a friend recommended: Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein
A Pulitzer Prize-winning book: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
A book based on a true story: Odette's Secrets by Maryann Macdonald
A book at the bottom of your to-read list:
A book your mom loves: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
A book that scares you: The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon
A book more than 100 years old:
A book based entirely on its cover: Playing for the Commandant by Suzy Zail
A book you were supposed to read in school but didn’t:
A memoir: Yes, Please! by Amy Poehler
A book you can finish in a day: Hidden by Helen Frost
A book with antonyms in the title:
A book set somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
A book that came out the year you were born:
A book with bad reviews: Frogged by Vivian Vande Velde
A trilogy: Legend trilogy by Marie Lu
A book from your childhood: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
A book with a love triangle: Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
A book set in the future: Cress by Marissa Meyer
A book set in high school: Armada by Ernest Cline
A book with a color in the title: Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
A book that made you cry: The Secret Tree by Natalie Standiford
A book with magic: Wild Born by Brandon Mull
A graphic novel: Watchmen by Alan Moore
A book by an author you’ve never read before: Almost Super by Marion Jensen
A book you own but have never read:
A book that takes place in your hometown: All the Bright Places
A book that was originally written in a different language: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
A book set during Christmas:
A book written by an author with your same initials:Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
A play:
A banned book: Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
A book based on or turned into a TV show:

A book you started but never finished:

That's all she read!

No comments:

Post a Comment